Copyright © Random Tales of Everyday Life
Design by Dzignine
Wednesday 7 November 2012

Why do I bother about India’s Endangered?



"You must be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi





As the founder of www.indiasendangered.com, people sometimes ask me, why this topic? Why did I start a blog about endangered species of India. It is not something that is expected from a blog except if the blog owner is a researcher or a conservationist working on the particular subject. I am neither, hence the confusion.



To really know the answer to this query, you should probably go back in time with me to meet a little girl born in an urban city, who loved to spend hours amidst nature. She would often wander in her home garden and scribble poems that praised land, air, the trees, flowers and everything nature made.



I may have wandered into many other paths growing up, but it is the dual love for nature and writing that ultimately led me to India’s Endangered.



But then why chose a subject that no one’s giving attention to? Because I wanted to know.



When I founded India’s Endangered a year and a half back my aim was,



1. To give a platform to all those vivid and enigmatic creatures of India that are unique but may soon perish without even a single person knowing about their existence!



2. I wished to increase my knowledge about my country’s biodiversity. I do not want to die knowing that India is only home to tiger, peacock and the lotus flower.



With each post that I have written and continue to write for India’s Endangered, I have unraveled yet another mystery about this vivid land and its landscape. Yes, I am not a conservationist but why should that stop me from wanting to protect the tiger or the Asiatic lion? Yes, I am not a researcher but why should that stop me from knowing about the Great Indian Bustard or the elusive Snow Leopard?



In the past few months, India’s Endangered has helped me know so much I had never known. I now understand why the Western Ghats are one of the greatest natural treasures any country could have. I know where to find deers that dance like ballerinas on wobbly grounds or why saving the forest is more critical than saving the tigers alone.



With greater understanding, I have also felt a greater responsibility to keep writing tales of these unknown, unheard and unsolicited species. The species I write about are dying, but hope for life should certainly not be lost just because these creatures are already on their deathbed. I hope one day I have no animal or plant left to write about because they are all safe and thriving, but until that day my humble blog will continue to send the SOS signal to the world.



Do spend a few minutes browsing India’s Endangered, for news, views and information about endangered species of India.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your point of view...